Visitor visa (temporary resident visa) is a document that you can apply for to come to Canada for a vacation, family visit or a short business trip.  Visitors are restricted in length of stay and subject to various conditions. You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

    According to an article in The Globe and Mail in July 2018, the refusal rate for temporary resident visa applications increased from 18% in 2012 to 26% in 2017. In 2017 alone, Canada refused entry to nearly 600,000 people. During the first three months of 2018, the refusal rate increased to 30%.

    Some of these applications have been refused due to the mistakes that are made by the applicants. Therefore, it is critical to make an accurate application.   


    This is a document that allows foreign nationals to study in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

    You can study in Canada if you:


    • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI

    • show proof that you have enough money to pay for your

    tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

    • obey the law, have no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.

    • are in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam.

    • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies. (canada.ca)



    The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa (Super Visa) is a temporary resident permit that allows parents and grandparents to stay for up to 2 years in Canada per visit. It is valid for up to 10 years.

    A regular multiple-entry visa is also valid for up to 10 years, but only allows stays of up to 6 months per visit.


    Post-graduation work permit is a document that allows international students who graduate from designated learning institutions (DLI) to temporarily work in Canada. 


    Not every program in designated learning institutions has eligibility for post-graduation work permit. 


    Employers in Canada are allowed to hire temporary foreign workers if they are not able to find suitable persons for the position within Canada (permanent residents or Canadian citizens). 


    Employers who want to hire foreign workers have to apply for a document called Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (if they are not exempt from it). A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. 

1 King Street West, Suite 4800-134

Toronto, Ontario M5H 1A1

© 2019 Northern Pathways Immigration Consulting Inc. All Rights Reserved